Friday, May 22, 2015

Look! LLamas!!

I found myself with an entire day to explore Chicago on my own. What should I do?  After perusing several options in propaganda I gathered from the Concierge I decided a day at the zoo would be fine. There were some reports on baby animals and the whole city was alive with spring blossoms.


The day was warming up when I arrived via cab.  I was already filled with giggles as my cabby proceeded to regale me with a tale of a fare he had a few days before me. He picked up a woman and her small dog and took them to the groomers. She asked him to wait and tipped him $50 promising more. So he waited.  A while later they came out, the dog all coiffed and fluffed and bedecked in bows. He then took them to her home again where she asked him to wait again for another tip which he did. The woman and the dog both came back out and this time the woman was dressed and coiffed and bedecked in Pearls and some black vampy Louboutin heels. Where were they going I asked? He giggled and said “A Puppy Party”. A what??? Puppy Party… they are apparently very popular in Chicago. You dress up your dog and yourself and go to a very chic party. He says they have had formal events that included dogs at the very posh Drake Hotel. After an enchanting ride and my cabby’s generous and thoughtful offer to hold on to my credit card so my hands would be free to photograph the camels I hopped out, waved good-bye and practically skipped into the zoo.



The Lincoln Park Zoo is free and feels more like a park with a few animal displays than a zoo with some flowers.


 I was thrilled. However after reviewing my photos I realized that it appears as though I was at a garden. It is just impossible to get a good shot of anything behind glass.


I started out observing the sea lions 


but the only cooperative fellow was a seagull.


 I wandered on bewitched by all the flowers stopping often to look and just enjoy a real spring. 


We don’t have these in Texas. The sun was out but the air still held a veil of chill which would be warmed suddenly by gentle whispers of sun heated air.  I think this day was my favorite.


I passed the Swan Pond where the swans were not and on to the Waterfowl Lagoon which was overtaken by flamingos all napping in the sun.


My meandering brought me to the zebra enclosure where the contrary beasts were all under a bridge in the shade and impossible to see. 


Next were Alpacas. Fluffy headed goofy, shaggy Alpacas.
I snapped a photo and sent it to Sam I Am. She adores Alpacas.  I moved onward stopping at the sight of some humpty-backed camels.

My first thought was “it must be awful for them in winter”.  They are Bactrian camels. They have two humps and are native to China and Mongolia but can be found all over Asia. They live mostly in dry grassland and desert areas. They favor grasses, leaves and shrubs but they can tolerate dry vegetation and thorny brush other grass eating mammals cannot. They can live up to 50 years. The temperatures of their native Central Asia in the high rocky desert can drop as low as 20 below 0 in winter so they are very well suited for cold Chicago winters.


My second thought was Humpty-back camels and yes The Unicorn, written by Shel Silverstein and sung by The Irish Rovers did pop into my head.

My third thought was interrupted by a group of several people including three women one of whom said, “Look!! Llamas!! They have llamas!” I paused looked again at the enclosure and then at the women and then further back from where I had come and thought, No those are alpacas. But we were standing in front of the camels and they could not yet see the Alpacas. “Are you sure?” I heard one say. “Yes, yes those are llamas.” To my surprise a couple of the men in the group agreed that indeed they were looking at llamas. I looked again at the camels. The camels were now looking right at the group. I had to turn and step away to better observe these people. They were so delighted and thrilled by the llamas. I was amused. But not in a cruel way that I was thinking of making fun of them. I wanted to watch their excitement change when they finally realized or were told that those were camels. I was not to be disappointed. One of the women who was a llama believer went to read the plaque explaining about the camels when she said in a very reverent whisper, “Those are camels. GUYS!!! Those are camels!!” She was excited, however a couple people in her group argued that no they were llamas. (WHAT??? I am thinking….lol…. this just got better…LOL) She pointed to the plaque and told them that no they were camels the sign said so. The men in the group trudged over to plaque and read it. “This does say these are camels.” A hush fell over them all. I had to walk away.

I visited the apes, and hurried through the monkey exhibit which are always disturbing. I found a pretzel peddler and was very disappointed with the worst pretzel EVER!  The Kovler Lion House gave us an up close and practically personal encounter with a sleeping lion. He was snuggled up to the glass and soundly asleep. There was a girl standing right next to him starring in awe at his size when the lion’s keeper walked up to her looked her in the eye and said ‘Oh good! You are here. Just in time for feeding. Are you ready to go in?” She looked at him turned white as chalk and quickly backed away shaking her head. We all laughed as he touched her shoulder and explained he was teasing. She relaxed and laughed.



I waved good day to the Zoo and after expertly flagging sown a cab whizzing by at Mach2 I went back to my Hotel. It was a wonder filled day. Thank you Chicago and Lincoln Park Zoo

No comments:

Post a Comment