Monday, October 19, 2015

Where To Park on a Blind Date

I am preparing my art blog today which happens to be about witches in art. I am googling and researching up all kinds of articles from witch to witchcraft to divining wands and sorcery. Can you just imagine the type of ads and smart suggestions I am going to be getting for the next 24 hours. Hmmmm...



Oh yes and then this....

While I was at the Emergency Room with my Mother last week a man was in a room across the hall. He kept watching me sit and stand and pace the room. He never smiled or acknowledged me just watched. I have no idea what he was thinking. I have no idea who he was there with. It was unnerving. I started thinking a hospital is not the place to meet and arrange a date. But then I remembered I was going on a blind date arranged for me by a friend. The man called and we talked for a while prior to our date so we could get to know each other a little. He lived on one side of Dallas and I lived south of Fort Worth, miles and miles apart. I needed a place where I could park my car and feel safe if I needed help. Where could a Lady park that her car would be safe and she would be safe?

 A hospital emergency parking lot. People were constantly coming and going and it was open all night. Perfect! He agreed. I gave it not another thought, I am quirky and it seemed logical. He later shared with me that out of all the blind dates he had ever been on this one would stay in his memory because he had never picked a Lady up for a date from a hospital. Well, that and the gay dance club we went to after jazz night at the Sons of  Hermann  Hall in Deep Ellum



I had a great time! We chatted on the phone a few more times and decided that the great distance between us was a huge hindrance and so we went our separate ways. I wonder how he is. 

In case you are wondering the Sons of Hermann is also called The Order of the Sons of Hermann or  Der Orden der Hermann's Soehne or Hermannssöhne.  It was formed as a protection society for German immigrants in New York City in 1840. It provides low cost insurance,  mutual aid and preserves German language and traditions. 

In 1861 the first Sons of Hermann Hall formed in Texas was Harmonia Lodge 1 and was formed in San Antonio. 



 In 1937 Harmonia Lodge 1 phased from German being spoken to English. In 1920 Harmonia Lodge 1 allowed women to join and became the first mixed Lodge in Texas and non Germans were allowed membership into the Organization in 1994. 

Did I tell you he kept bees and made honey. He brought me a jar of his honey on our date. One of the best first date gifts EVER!!!



Maybe I will tell you of the man who wooed me with a daily beer.... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment