Monday, August 29, 2011

cafe


We were sitting at an outside café. There were bees buzzing the table. They were not there to hurt anyone they were there for the fruits. The lemons, the limes, the margaritas, these bees had sweet tooth’s (teeth’s). They were not meat eaters. I was enjoying their slow buzzing but my table mates were busy freaking out and swatting and shooing and other wise attempting to eradicate them. I will admit it was distressing and annoying having them annoying the bees. Here is a good idea lets irritate the bees by trying to hit them or smash them, because, angry bees are so much better to deal with than these clam ones we have now.  Not one time during  our meal did any of the six of us get stung? Hmmmmm…  NO! Did any of the other people at the café? NO! They just wanted fruit nectar.
Speaking of other people…. The girl at the table next to ours had put aside an empty plate of what had been oil and herbs. She had been brought another plate. A pigeon hopped on to the table. He strutted over to the abandoned plate and proceeded to peck at the bits of garlic and herbs on the edge. She allowed him to do this. He became bolder and stepped into the oil slick plate and pecked around. A waiter walked by and startled the bird he stepped out of the plate and onto the marble covered table only to start slipping and sliding and the more his little stick legs slid the more he fought to stay upright, the more he slid until he slid right off the table and onto the floor where he shook himself off, walked to the ledge and flew down to the sidewalk. I am sure that whole episode only detoured him for a few hours. He probably made another attempt later.
In case any of you were wondering about the bats that used to find harbor under the bridges on the river walk….they have boarded up the eves and there are no more bats. At least under the bridges I went under. When I mentioned how sad it was and how I remembered the fun during my teenage years we had scampering past the bridges so to avoid them I was lectured about the great cost to the city to fix the “problem”. REALLY?!! This is not a question asked in surprise but …. I am supposed to feel sorry about the huge expense?  I should feel relief? None of those emotions reached me…..LOL
I went to a Birthday Party for Winnie the Pooh on Saturday. There was storytelling and a bean bag toss, pin the tail on Eeyore. You could make bee cookies and there was a huge card that they were signing with blue painted hand prints that was going to New York for the big party. There were stickers and hand stamps. The children were having the best time. What was funny was watching the reactions of the children as they had their hands painted blue. Some were like anxious and “lets do this!!” others were barely able to conceal their disgust at having cold wet blue paint slathered all over their hand. 
I made the most delicious lobster enchiladas. I used "imitation" lobster which is white pollack but tastes a wee bit like lobster, any way I created a wonderful white sauce and added chopped green chili peppers, some Colby and Asadero cheese, rolled it all up poured on the sauce and sprinkled with a little more cheese, A side of black beans and yummy!!!! I have noticed the less money I have to buy food the more creative I get with the basic stuff I have in my pantry.  Used the last can of pineapple and made a pineapple upside down cake, even used the last of the maraschino cherries for color.....wooohoooo.....However I am running out of stuff. I have a can of condensed milk and rice, any ideas? 

No comments:

Post a Comment