Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Dear Nephew

In case you are curious about the way the day went mercy lots and lots of mercy for me. I am grateful.

I obviously come from a different culture a different mindset, a difference.  Where I come from there are rules of etiquette. Boundaries, things that are acceptable and things that are not. I have unfortunately (in my eyes) lived in both places. I prefer polite society where rules and respect are king.

That being said, here is a note to men. I want you to open my doors, order for me, and ask me to dance, drive, and take my arm to cross the street, walk on the traffic side of the sidewalk and every other thing. 
On the incident that had me and mother and several older adults fussed up yesterday….

1.     Do NOT take all five of your grandchildren to the allergist with you.

2.     Teach your little darlings that when someone who is older than they are enters a room, and they are in the only chairs, they are to get up and offer that adult the chair.  NOT sit there playing their hand held device while 3 80 year old woman stand and myself.  The young man in the neck brace even got up and offered up his seat to my mother.

3.     You are raising careless people.

4.     On a positive note they were otherwise quiet and polite.

Now to the man and son who came into the restaurant to eat as I was picking up food and crossed in front of me several times.  I am impressed with your politeness and respect.  I do not know who raised you but I would like to tell them they did a beautiful job. Both of you apologized and excused yourself each time you crossed in front of me.  Not that I minded sir because you are a gorgeous man and I thoroughly enjoyed the inter-action.  I am not sure it was done for me as a female, or because of my age but that charming grin on your face at one point was exactly what both of us knew it was.  Can we cross paths again?

I was perusing the online article yesterday about Jerry Bruckheimer getting his star on the walk of fame in Hollywood yesterday when one of the photos of Jerry caught me off guard.  At some point somewhere in my life I have had an encounter with him. I did not know it was him; it was not like we were introduced, it was more like some random comments shared by a few people in an elevator or at a restaurant. You know, where we have all been privy to some little commotion and all comment on it and laugh leaving each other with amusement as our memory.

Dear nephew,
These letters I print out and send to you are called Breakfast letters. I write them on mornings I am inspired to say something.  They are emailed to a few friends, some I know read them and others I have no idea. I have thinned the list considerably.  This letter is also put on a blog site with the name Breakfast letters.  I put them there actually for me as a way to keep up with them.  I had them on another site as well but have stopped putting them there.  I have opted to print them and mail them to you as opposed to writing to you and hear that you complain you cannot read my handwriting. Their value is entertainment; a glimpse into the swirls of color, texture, velocity, whist, and unlimited playground that is a tiny bit of me.  So sit back, enjoy them, and say out loud if you must that I am crazy, or throw them the hell away!  I will drive down there and smack you!  Twice!  I will be happy with a simple Thanks Auntie I love you too. Someday I will be old and feeble and wearing clunky orthopedic shoes and will need to go to Walmart to buy depends and I will insist you drive me! So just prepare!!!



Have a lovely day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment