Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Trekie Grandma

I do not know what is going on in the universe right now but….STOP!!!!

It all started while I was in the theater watching Star Trek with Naomi. 

We were all immersed in the film when the screen goes dark. The sound kept playing for about 15 seconds and stops. We sit there in the dark for a couple minutes when a few of the men in the crowd get up and leave. I relax because it is refreshing to have men behave like men for a change and take care of stuff. They came back in and announced there was a storm raging outside and we must have lost power. The lights we saw were the emergency lights kicked on by the back-up generators. Groovy! Meanwhile a mom tells her two sons they are going to go potty while there is a pause in the action. One child goes along quietly while the other asks loudly what they were doing and as she tells him again he repeats in a very loud voice back to her that …”we are leaving to potty mom. We will be back after we potty mom. It is good to potty during a break.” This amuses some of us. After she leaves a theater employee rushes in and announces in a firm but breathless voice that they had a power loss due to storms and the movie would resume momentarily where it left off. Thanking us for our patience she runs off. A guy in the audience wants to know exactly how long, when it will start.  She is already gone so another man answers “she said in a few moments!” Really??? Because acts of GOD run on your schedule? If you needed to leave because of a time issue then leave, ask for a rain check voucher and come back at another time. This dude probably has a list, plans out his entire life on his Android, maps out his course, schedules his evening around TV. Dinner is the same every week…chicken fajitas on Monday, ravioli on Tuesday, etc…. at the same time every day. I get it; some people need a very rigid structure, but this guy was just being an idiot. He started chanting refund… refund… which no one else chimed in on. But one man did say “Yeah go get a rain check!” So he shut up and the movie started.

This movie had some very humorous parts which we laughed at but it was just Naomi and I the rest of the crowd was quiet. And then Sulu makes his speech to Harrison. I stood up and applauded it was bold, aggressive and determined. Sulu grew up right before our eyes and it was impressive. 

Later we see Spock grow up and that is just as impressive. But the shocker came when we discover Harrison’s true identity. Naomi, myself and a lady on our row all at the same time gasp loudly. It was amusing.

 I start paying a bit more attention to the lady on our row and I realize we are in the presence of a true Trekie. She is not only watching the movie she is evaluating the behavior of each character and the story line. I hear her make a comment to her husband about episode number, whatever, in the first season. She comments on which episode the Tribbles are first introduced. After the movie I realize the Trekie woman is in her 80’s. Unreal! I wonder back in the 60s did she dress as a member of Starfleet for Halloween parties. Did she garb up and go to Star Trek conventions? Was she a regular caller at QVC during a Star Trek 2 hour special? I imagine yes. I wonder what her grandkids think about it. Trek on Grandma!

But here is the weird part. After I got home and locked the door my car horn went off. Just one big loud hoooooonk! For about 5 minutes. I could not get it off. Then it made a half honk honked on and got quiet. It honked twice more in short bursts and got quiet. Then 15 minutes later it honked again and this went on for 15 minutes solid. My neighbor came over and told me car was alarm was going off. Well ….. uhm….., yeah weird huh? It finally died off, honked twice more and was quiet the rest of the night. I probably have a dead battery now.  What the bloody hell was that about? The way my mind works if you are going to throw a mutiny at me you have to go. Bye bye car time for a new one. Maybe I am related to Blackbeard. Did he have children? Anyone want to check that out? Is there any surviving DNA?

I have to do some writing for my blog now. Get back to me about the Blackbeard connection.


No comments:

Post a Comment