Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Cottage Cheese Paint

                             Hey Mom what exactly is cottage cheese? Why is it called cottage cheese and not bungalow cheese or mansion cheese?

Great question. Why is it called cottage cheese and what exactly is it.



Cottage cheese is actually cheese curd. A product obtained by curdling milk. You curdle milk by adding an acid to it such as vinegar and then allowing it to set. The proteins in the milk bind together forming solid mass or curds. These curds are then drained and/or pressed. Cottage cheese is drained but not pressed so some of the whey remains. Whey is milk serum. It is the liquid product that is left after the curdling process is complete. In the case of cottage cheese the whey is termed sour whey.


The cottage cheese curds are washed to remove the acid and sour taste. They are not flavored or colored. Cottage that is drained and pressed becomes what we here in Texas know as Queso Blanca.



The name cottage cheese dates back to 1831 and was consumed in smaller households and homes that were then called cottages. It was usually made from the butter milk or milk that was left over from the butter making process which was done in home at the cottages.
Cottage cheese is favored by bodybuilders, runners, health food enthusiasts because it is high in Casein protein and relatively low in fat. Casein protein lasts longer in the human body than other proteins and supplies the body with amino acid, carbohydrates, calcium and phosphorus. The amazing thing about Casein is once ingested into the stomach it forms a clot and attaches to the stomach where it then slowly releases amino acids into the bloodstream. The purpose and importance of amino acids to our bodies will take a 6 week course to understand so just know this your brain NEEDS amino acid. This slow feeding of amino acid into your system can take hours.



I want to apologize for my fussiness yesterday, but, how about you do not come waltzing, as a new person, into a situation you know nothing about and then try to assume leadership. You, probably unknowingly insulted me and did it rather rudely and abruptly. I did not make a mistake, I know what I was doing, and you are free to change it. You fussed up others too. Calm down! Instead of assuming, wrongly and with NO information just ask. Be nice. Stay calm.

Bloody Hell!!! Just Bloody Flippin Hell!!


Just so you know…

Glue is also made with Casein. Maybe why a cow named Elmer appears on glue bottles.
Paint is made from Casein and was used commonly as paint in ancient Egypt.
It was used in an early recipe for plastic to make buttons.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Tamara, I have tried to find an email to reach you in private, but I coudn't locate one. That's why I'll leave a comment instead. I would like to know if I could use your photo of the hanging cottage cheese and acid whey in the wooden bowl on this page? I need to do a presentation for the application team in my workplace, but I have not managed to take a better photo of the process myself. I have to show the usibilites of acid whey after extracted from cottage cheese production. But I just needed your permission to use it, before I can include in such a presentation. Is that okay with you?

    Best Regards
    Mia Vestergaard Andersen
    Acid Whey application studies

    ReplyDelete