Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Uhmmm.. Restricted!

I pass, every morning on my walk a balcony that has a string of lights across the top and the railing. It is pretty in the darkness and I wonder as I pass why they are still up since they were put up at Christmas.


Today when I looked at them, for some reason, I really saw them. They are icicles.  Blue icicles hanging and glowing like a real icicle would on a moonlit night in a cold January. They became so much more charming. I am looking forward to tomorrow and catching a glimpse of them as I turn the corner.


Monday was not a fairy tale in my world but it was an adventure. Filled with turmoil, chaos, anger and confusion. I pray today is not a repeat.


After I asked and told the accountant NOT to make contact or do anything to or with the delinquent accounts on four separate occasions what did she do late on Friday afternoon? She sent them all past due invoices and then changed internally the membership level of some of them. After I had told some of them one thing she has sent invoices showing another higher price for their membership dues. I received phone calls and e-mails from upset, unhappy, confused, irritated members. She did not even look at what she was sending. The letter template in the system defaults to “Dear Joel” they all said that. I am sure this is not how they wanted to be greeted on Monday morning. I know it is not how I wanted to start my week. Being a fireman, putting out fires, calming ruffled feathers. Damage Control. Is that a job title? Can I put that on a business card?


Then after a series of communications the child I have that, as you will recall screamed at me on the phone not to ever talk to her again, call her father and his people or her mother-in-law and her people, called me. She proceeded to attempt to lecture me about why I did not call her direct with the news. Well first of all the information was for Ryan, her husband not her and so I contacted Ryan’s Mom. Second, you asked me not to ever talk to you again, which I have, shall I say, gladly complied with. Third I do not have your phone number, I tell her as I look at the phone and see that the number she is calling from is RESTRICTED. I laugh.  She screams at me to call her, not her mother in law. I calmly explain that I cannot call her, her number is restricted. She responds, and I seriously mean this as if she really does not understand with “I don’t get it?” Don’t get what? “What you mean restricted?” I calmly explain her number is restricted. Where her phone number should be on my phone it says restricted. 3,2,1… She explodes into an angry tirade screeching about facebook??? I move the phone away to look at it with I am sure shock. Shaggy comes running into the room because she can hear her sister screaming and looks at me and the phone. Shaggy suggests I just hang up. I calmly tell her that when I have further details I will contact her mother-in-law because I have that phone number and 3,2,1… she explodes into a super nova of negative disrespectful words about her mother-in-law and then starts to bash me. It is at this moment I tell her good bye. Shaggy and I stand just staring at each other. Uhm… random and strange and the only words we can come up with are Bi-Polar. It was just weird. She flashed form one angry vent to a completely different one in a random fashion. I felt like I was talking to four different people all handing the phone from one to the other faster than a blink of an eye. I pray I NEVER NEVER EVER have to speak to her again. Seriously ever.


But wait there was to be more. Last night my brother calls me to tell me that this same daughter has called him only he did not know it was her. He received a call from a number that showed RESTRICTED as it rang. He did not answer it. They left a voicemail. It was this child and her message,  “Call me back.” My brother and I both laugh. Did she leave you a number? No, he laughs unless I can dial RESTRICTED and she answers.

I think I will just close the shop today and go to a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment