Wednesday, June 8, 2016

His Name is Lilly

As scheduled I took Mom to her Doctor appointment. 
We got there signed in and waited…and then much to my despair The Voice came on.
 I tried to lose myself in a conversation with Mom but she kept telling me to lower my voice, I was talking too loud. Well of course I was. I had to drown out the peckish chatter of those angry, unhappy, disgruntled, over paid harpies. Who have nothing nice or positive or kind or uplifting, helpful, or feel good to say. But that was not all of it; some woman brought her daughter in and was letting her watch cartoons on a phone with volume turned up so that we all had to endure the selfish, entitled behavior.  I was about to lose my mind when they called Mom back. I dove into a book I had brought along. Rescued at last by men at Zodiac Station.

Mom wanted pancakes for lunch so we went to a pancake place, where we were seated and cheerfully greeted by our server whose name tag said Lilly. We ordered. Mom had the strawberry crepes 
and I had banana, macadamia nut, buttermilk pancakes with a butter rum sauce 
and sausage, hash browns and eggs. (I now have breakfast for today also) Lilly was charming, polite, energetic and wearing light blue sparkly nail polish. 
Deep red hair was artfully twisted and piled into a ballerina bun on the back of her head. Lilly was respectful and responded with joy when I asked for things using terms of endearment. Mom was enjoying her meal and completely clueless. So I said, he is a great server isn’t he? Mom replied, “You mean her, she is a great server.” She is male mom. “No it is a woman” she says. No Mom, she is not female. Bless her heart she looked at me like I had lost my mind. 

Lilly brought me a go box and the check just as Mom poured another cup of coffee. I went to pay while she enjoyed her coffee. I noticed on the way to the register that our server was listed Luke. Wanting to make sure Lilly got the tip I commented on this. I was told that our server was indeed Luke but went by the name Lilly. The check said Luke because she, the manager, could not figure out how to get into the brain part of the cash register to change his name to Lilly. She also told me that he sometimes introduces himself as Luke and sometimes as Lilly but always wears the Lilly name tag. I noticed on the way back to our table that she, Lilly had put a sparkly blue star and a bright pink happy face sticker on the back of the check and signed it Thank you Lilly. 

I informed Mom of what I had learned and after a fleeting moment of shock she smiled and said “She was wonderful and they need to figure out the cash register thing and change her name in it!”

Stick with me Mom I can show you some amazing moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment