Monday, December 17, 2012

Elvis sings Bethlehem


No rant this morning.

However I did come across the word bitterness this morning in my devotional reading and since it seemed to fill an empty space in me I decided to check out the word I have used and not paid much attention to. Bitterness of heart sounds serious and intense and describes what I could not name in me before. Here is what I discovered that was interesting.
Old English – biter
German – bitter
Old Norse – bitr
Old Saxon - bitar
Gothic – baitrs

They are all very similar and mean to bite. It can be used as noun-bitter - very dry ale having a strong taste of hops, adjective – causing pain (bitter sorrow), verb- to make bitter, and adverb-extreme as in bitter cold wind. 

 Synonyms include painful, poignant, distressing, fierce, cruel, and ruthless. These all sound like symptoms. Truth they are. I can vividly see each moment these wounds were inflicted. I long to go back to each one and look my assailant in the eye at that moment right before it is committed and forgive them. This vision brings back the moment from the movie Elizabeth-The Golden Age when Mary Queen of Scots lifts her head and forgives her executioner. 

That moment, I long for that moment with each incident.

I was looking for something clever and entertaining to have Moola chat about on our facebook page this morning that was Christmas interesting and I came across Christmas Carols and the story behind them. Well that seemed a bit heavy for a stuffed cow to go on about so you my hearties get to hear about them. Some of them may be familiar and some are favorites of mine that may be obscure. 

The first one will be O Little Town of Bethlehem. St.Louis tune read more.
 It was written by an Episcopal Priest named Phillips Brooks from Philadelphia.  In 1865 he visited the city of Bethlehem in Palestine and that visit inspired him. In 1868 he wrote the lyrics and his church organist, Lewis Redner, gave the lyrics music. Adapted into a hymn tune, it was first published in the English Hymnal of 1906.
I am including the Elvis version complete with warm crackling fireplace.

  Lady Tamara asks you to enjoy this 2:39 moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment