Monday, March 11, 2013

Elephant seals


The Rockstar tour was out of control. No time for writing or posting or even reflection on my days and that one week turned into 2 weeks. Then to bring back as a souvenir a cold; put me further behind and for another week I wanted nothing but rest and Kleenex.   Shall we try to get restarted?

There have been some internal changes at a company I am in contract with that has affected my lifestyle and so I am now in an office by 8 am. This will and has derailed my morning routine.  I can and will adapt;  I just wanted you to know.  Can you hear Alanis Morisette? “I want you to know….” Hah





I will leave you with some Elephant seal shots I took of Elephant seal Bay….

We were on the Pacific Coast Highway, just south of Big Sur. We pulled into a large parking area that was full of vehicles. I grabbed my camera and we headed toward the cliff edge. There below us were elephant seals in pod groups sprawled out all over the beach.  They hang out on this stretch of beach from December through March.

Elephant seal females can weigh up to 1600 pounds with males tipping the scales at 3000 to 5000. They can dive to depths over 1000 feet and stay submerged for over 20 minutes.  

This where the females come to give birth, nurse their pups, form small groups  called harems,  mate again and leave.  The elephant seal spends most of its time in solitary pursuit of food; swimming thousands of miles each year. The name elephant seal comes from the great pendulous noses the males sport. The females do not have such a face.  They have a life span of about 14 years and are a protected species. 

The beautiful grey coats looked like soft grey velvet made from silk. I have an antique silk velvet piano scarf and it shines like their coat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment