Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Leonidas sings Night Music


I wanted to watch a movie that took me on a short escape. Something light yet melancholy and there it was staring at me from the P row on the shelf; Phantom of the Opera. I had seen this performed live in all its glory in San Francisco at the Orpheum Theater.

If you ever have a chance to get to San Francisco to see anything at the Orpheum do so. The building is beautiful inside and out. It was built in 1926 and is French Gothic in style, seats over 2,200 and is a designated landmark.

I popped in the movie and settled down to be whisked away. I had seen the movie years earlier after it first came out in 2004. As I was watching and listening there was something vaguely familiar about the voice of the phantom. About two thirds of the way through it came to me that the voice sounded like Gerard Butler. 

Of course you never get a really good look at him and when you do you see the scar side of his face. So I with anticipation for the credits to roll and sure enough it was him and he sang. He sang a lot. Yes he really did sing the songs and Andrew Lloyd Webber said that Gerard Butler's voice was the one he had always dreamed of for the Phantom. So there I sat with a vision of Leonidas half clothed, sword in hand 

singing Music of the Night. It was like climbing on the back of a Harley with a huge hairy biker in leather vest, boots and velvet studded chaps.

 Dreamlike. I had no idea he sang. I had never heard of Gerard Butler prior to 300. What a lovely idea…. Strap on a sword, plait up your kilt, go make war, come back home and sing me a lullaby. Yes!! I want one of those please.

Sweet dreams are made of this…..

What does your dream date do?

No comments:

Post a Comment