Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Boner of an Idea

You know how in Texas there is a Taqueria Jalisco 


or Bandera, or Guadalajara on just about every corner. Here in Oregon there is a coffee hut of some kind or another on every corner. Not a Starbucks or a Peets but some little hut with various coffee oriented names such as the Mojo, The Cup O’ Joe, and Drive by Coffee Hut. There are more of them here than there are Valeros in San Antonio. Do the cars here also function on coffee?


We ate at a place called the Pig and Pancake last night because Seamus thought a place with a breakfast name would be a good place to have dinner. Really???? 


He orders the seafood platter which consisted of shrimp, Cod and a Razor Clam. I assumed he had eaten razor clams before. No, it was his first one and I thought he was going to yak it all over the table. I thought I was going to yak all over the table watching him attempt to chew it. He looks at me and asks why, if these clams are so horrible to eat do people eat them? 


In all seriousness I tell him that perhaps it was the way it was cooked. He looks at me like I am an idiot. I try again. If you wanted a perfect medium rare piece of Angus prime rib would go to IHOP? Here is the scary part, well, yes if they are serving a prime rib special that night I would, he says. I choked on my last bite of over cooked shrimp. I try again. When you want some juicy tender BBQ ribs do you go to McDonalds for a McRib sandwich? He looks at me again like I have grown four eyes and says “No, those are not real ribs.” Implying that if they were real ribs he would consider that an acceptable place to eat BBQ ribs? I am just not sure…


There we were yesterday happily searching for Geocaches when viola! We find a rather large one. We are recording and tagging and doing Geocache stuff when I decide to head back to the vehicle to retrieve a token to leave in the canister. Off to my right I spy a flash of something 


white. Of course I veer from my course and go to investigate. I am the person who is in the middle of a conversation and all of a sudden screams look a chicken when I see one and then scampers off to see it. So it was with the white bone looking thing I saw. Except, when I got to it I realized it was a bone. My first thought is that it is a femur of a deer or dog or coyote. Hey, I say as I am conceiving a brilliant idea. Why don’t we leave the bone in the cache? I kick it over to Seamus and as I am about to use leaves to pick it up he reaches for it with his fingers, picks it up and deposits in the canister. UHMMM!!!!! Too late. It then crosses my mind as I survey the area we are standing in that it could….wait was is that white thing? Another bone. Cool!! No wait not cool, maybe. I look around us again and a chill shimmers up my spine. OK! I call, let’s go!  We drive on and a few hours later Seamus pauses to comment that perhaps he should not have touched the bone as he picked it up. Ya think?? He then wants to throw me under the bus as he records the search notes later claiming it is me who put the bone in the canister. NO YOU ARE NOT!! Well why did you give it to me, he asks. WHAT?? I did not give it to you - I just mentioned I found a bone and would it be humorous if we put it in the canister. It is at this point we both burst into a fit or laughter that takes us about 30 minutes to recover from. But then all either of us have to do is say the words humerus bone and the laughter starts again. Come to find out that when we looked up the bone later that evening it actually was a humerus bone and probably from a deer,



………maybe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment