Monday, December 8, 2014

Endure with Strength Descendant of Sumner

Fort Sumner in New Mexico may sound familiar to some. It is associated with names such as Billy “The Kid”, Pat Garrett, and Lucien Maxwell.


The fort was established 31 October 1862 to protect a reservation, which covered about 40 square miles at Bosque Redondo in New Mexico. Many military officers were against these plans as, the land allotted for the reservation had a poor water supply and minimal trees. Congress insisted and the reservation was established.


Fort Sumner is located 160 miles west of Lubbock, Texas on Hwy 60 in New Mexico. The post was named for General Edwin Vose Sumner. He never saw the fort as he died in 1863 before it was completed. Sumner was appointed Brigadier General by Abraham Lincoln, one of only three he appointed and dispatched to the Department of the Pacific in California. After being recalled back East, General Sumner was in battle in 1862 at the battle of Antietam along with Brigadier General John Sedgwick. Sumner was promoted to Major General in 1862 and has the distinction of being the oldest field officer on either side during the Civil War. Commonly referred to as “Bullhead” earned, according to legend, by a musket ball once hitting him in the head but instead of penetrating bouncing off.  He died in 1863 while visiting his daughter in Syracuse, New York. Edwin Vose Sumner is my 4th cousin. We share a great grandfather, William Sumner, who was born in 1605.


Why all this Sumner chatter? One beautiful summer day in August I was at Fort Sumner with a man I adored and we were creating amazing memories. We were on our return trip from Sturgis and had been on his bike on an adventure for a month.


 I had been chasing some Sumner ghosts in Mothers past when I wondered if we were any relation to the Sumner the Fort was named after so I went hunting for him. I came across 7 great grandfathers and one great grandmother named Sumner and the common link as I said was William Sumner in 1605. He was born in England and arrived in America in 1630 settling in Massachusetts. He was a Trustee for the school and the land it occupied as well as being an officer in the court and a prominent leader in his church.


Sumner is a sept, saeptum, or in English it translates to enfolded; as to be part of a fold or clan of Clan Lindsay who were prominent not only in Scotland but also in England. The Sumners are absorbed into the Lindsay clan and considered an integral part of it. The Lindsay clan motto is Endure Fort (Latin) it means Suffer Bravely or Endure with Strength. Clan septs, like us Sumners have the right to wear clan tartans and badges and use the clan motto.


The clan badge is a swan rising from a coronet and can be used by all in the clan including the septs.


I was at a high tea with Mother on Friday when Patsy said something in the course of conversation that led mother to ask if she was interested in Genealogy. Patsy shrieked and said “oh heavens no, no no no! I want to look forward not backwards. I do not want to know nor do I care! There is nothing for me there, However I do know I descend from kings.” Really?? I thought. Mother than looked at me, I could see where she was going to go. She was going to want me to give a line of descendants all the way to Prince William. The other ladies at the table were somewhat impressed with Patsy’s statement. I knew if I did what mother wanted Patsy would have shut her down, dismissed her, rudely left the table or interrupted her and changed the subject. So, I asked the ladies at the table if they had heard of the Bondurant Brothers. The bootleggers with the moonshine one Lady asked with awe. Yes! Those boys are related to Mother. Let the chatter begin. They were impressed and thrilled and the topic took off in another direction giving mother the center of attention and creating a lively round of dangerous, rowdy, relatives.  




Glad I have that clan motto: Endure with Strength!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment