Monday, December 22, 2014

The John Hancock

One day 12 years ago a demon sneezed and a kitten named Goblin was born. This morning he decided it was time to get up because he wanted to be fed. I keep the cat food bowls with kibble all the time so they free feed. He knows this. After listening to him meow, chirp and grumble forever and have him sit beside me as I lay abed purring while he starred laser beams at my back I got up. He shrieked at me. I wandered into the kitchen and low and behold there was food in the bowl. He sauntered up, squatted down and started to eat. I checked his water bowl and there was water. He refuses to eat in the morning unless I get up. If I just wander past the kitchen he will continue to torment me until I enter the kitchen when he will settle to eat. I turned off the light and went back to the bedroom to text a morning hello to a friend. It was 4:55AM!!!!!!


 I usually wake up at 6. That bloody cat woke me well before 4 this morning so he could fuss about being hungry when there was food in his bowl already. And, because I had not stayed in the kitchen so he could eat he was now back screeching at me. I checked the bowls again, put on some sweat pants a hoogie, boots, grabbed my purse and left the house. Now who are you going to grumble to reject from a demons nose? I was out for a little over 2 hours. The only good thing about Walmart. They are always open.


I am still researching my Sumner line which is on Mother’s side of the family. I am presently at William Sumner III who was married to Hannah Henchmen.

Now, I am not going to bore you with all the details except, Hannah is my 9th Great Grandmother and she has a brother named Hezekiah (keep reading), who is my 9th Great Grand Uncle, he married a woman named Abigail. They had a son whom they named Daniel who is my cousin, (stay with me). Cousin Daniel married a woman named Elizabeth and they had a daughter they named Lydia (we are almost there). Lydia is also a cousin, but that is not how she is famous, she married a man named Thomas Hancock. 

                                                     Thomas Hancock by John Singleton Copley

Does the name Hancock ring a bell? Cousin Lydia and Thomas Hancock had no children. Thomas Hancock had a brother named John Hancock who was married to a woman named Mary. They had a son named Johnny who was born in 1731 and orphaned in 1744. Little Johnny went to live with his Aunt Lydia and Uncle Thomas who were very wealthy and had established The House of Hancock, a trading firm. This wealth will come in handy for not only Little Johnny but also George Washington and a growing America. In 1764 Thomas Hancock died leaving little Johnny who was 27 one the wealthiest men in Massachusetts. In May of 1775 little Johnny was elected as the Fourth president of Congress. During his term as President, the Congress readied and created the Declaration of Independence. As President, Little Johnny, now known as John Hancock was the first to sign it. John Hancock. He presided over Congress while the country was at war until 1777 when he resigned.


                                     John Hancock  by  John Singleton Copley

This just gets me thinking that you just do not know the plans GOD has for you. Had Thomas and Lydia had their own children little Johnny Hancock may not have ever been given the love, support and courage he would need to be that one person who would step up and sign his name to a document of treason. Had his parents lived he may never have been given that spark that would lead him to encourage independence and perseverance. I cannot help but think that my dear cousin Lydia played a vital role in shaping young John Hancock. She died in 1776 shortly after being removed from Boston to Connecticut for her safety when the war broke out

                            Lydia Henchman Hancock by John Singleton Copley

John Singleton Copley, an artist in Boston painted her portrait and there is a hint of a smile lingering near her lips that starts in her eyes that is the same look I would see on my Granny when she was content. I think it blossoms from a whisper from GOD that says “your children are OK.”



 I want all of you children to know that the love, strength, courage, the desire for justice and freedom that nurtured John Hancock has been handed down to you too. You are better than your tragedy and a glorious story waiting to be written.   


No comments:

Post a Comment