Monday, February 20, 2012

Cockle-bur Tour


A few weeks ago my friend Star had posted online a few photos of her shimmy skirts she hand crafts. I had commented that wouldn’t those be lovely to wear to Sherwood Forrest and an adventure idea was born with Seumas. It was at the time, just a wish, a hope, a dream. As the proposed date came tumbling by I was well on my way to not being able to go. Then four things happened. I sold two photographs, I was paid, and my daughter met Milton and, the final I am not at liberty to discuss. Friday as I was calculating my bills and the feasibility of really going Seumas calls and asks if Sunday is good for me for Sherwood. He lays a very generous offer on me and as I say I can go we firm up our plan to firm up our plan the next day. Because being Gypsy means that the plan may not really end up being the plan. This is great! I can do another photo shoot and also go. We met up and off we drove to Sherwood. Things were happy and lively and Seumas was telling me of his impending battles and then we were there. It was not long after we got out of the truck that we realized this adventure had been named the Cockle Bur tour. Seumas proceeded to lay his tartan out to plait it when he jumped up grabbed the fabric and headed back over to the truck. As he laid it out on the truck and I asked what had happened, “cockleburs” I could see them. The nasty little varmints covered his tartan. So we proceeded to lay fabric, pluck burs, pick spines from our fingers, plait, pluck, pick, plait, pluck, pick until 6 yards of tartan lay ready to wrap. Not how we had envisioned the day going but it gave us a title. We made it inside and before long we had found Wolfer





 and he took us to the best place for food, which happened to have a falafel wrap and other meaty items for the carnivores. Once we ate and entertained the other patrons we marched to the other side of Sherwood where we invested in a bottle of Mead. Then to my delight shopping!!!! We were at a market and Seumas bought hand crafted soap in many delicious temple smelling scents for me and a few bars of leather scented soap for himself.  Next we stopped at the Apothecary and incense was the order. Wonderful smells mingle in my bag of scented sticks. Sugared ginger, patchouli bath salts, lavender oil the shop smelled divine. At the end of the day we took a last walk by Angel Sword and caressed the steel, leather, garnets, lapis, and bronzed swords, dirks, daggers and other weapons of our choice. As we sat chatting with Master D he offered us a sample of his home brewed whiskey, one with a Texas taste and the other a Canadian, both very smooth. The drive back to my car happened all too quickly and I was loathe to part company with me beloved Seumas. He had blessed me with a phone call to Tav whom I adore insanely; he had bought me oatmeal for breakfast and falafel for lunch. He had been generous  and kind, there was a peacefulness surrounding him I had never seen.





I was anticipating a quiet drive home and then picking up Shaggy from the airport later. I had no sooner gotten 15 miles down the road when she calls and says her flight has been cancelled and she must stay the night in Dallas. The airlines would pay for her hotel and transport her back and forth. I reassured her all would be fine and she rang off filled still with doubt. I had hoped she would call after getting to her hotel in Dallas and I awoke at 1:23 am with a start after checking both phones I realized she had not called and I decided it was too late to call her. This morning however at 5:28am she calls me and tells me her flight gets in at 9.


Lady Tamara  www.LairdOfLochaber.com now has to get going to the airport which was not on my schedule for today but has been put on my schedule. I just love adventure!
What is not on your schedule?

No comments:

Post a Comment