Tuesday, May 22, 2012

London Mill


These are a few of my favorite things.
Raindrops, Thunder, Lightning, Snow, Wildflowers, Roses, Rosemary, Soaring mountains, Sunlit meadows, Lazy waves caressing beaches, Crashing waves scattering treasure over waiting sand, Mashed potatoes, Fresh vegetables, Brave red wine, Pussy-willow, Grey skies, Sun showers, the sound of water as it plays over rocks, Cool air, Mimosas.

Mother’s Day I received all but the beaches. The morning dawned bright, sunny, clear and full of joy, peace and adventure. We headed out of Bailey. Our first adventure came in Fairplay Colorado. We were hungry and looking for breakfast. As we drove past an old Hotel I noticed they had a restaurant and it was open. We explored the town a wee bit more and returned. Inside we were met by the proprietress as she asked if we were there for the Mother’s Day Special. “Yes” I said with great enthusiasm. She swept us inside the dining room and before I could order, Mimosas were sitting before us. A cheerful man was playing guitar and singing songs I had not heard in years. Breakfast was two of the biggest, creamy pancakes I had ever seen and sausage cooked exactly how I love it. She came over as we ate and presented me with a beautiful long stemmed rose. The hotel was old and we were encouraged to take a tour. It is haunted by a ghost they call Julia and you can sometimes hear her dancing in the Ballroom.

Our adventure continued and we drove up Park roads that gave way to dirt trails. We went over, around, beside, mountains, creeks, rivers, gorges, gulches and long ago laid rail tracks. 

The light sprinkle of rain had become less of a sprinkle and more of a tiny sleet which within moments became drops of white very powdery snow; bundled together in miniature snow balls.

 The fluff balls turned into flakes and the flakes into beautiful lace doilies and back again into little crystal flakes. It was a fashion show of snowflakes. Just a sampling of the kind of magical beauty GOD can weave for me for Mother’s Day. The locals were all claiming they had gotten more snow in May than they had in March.

We had been driving back into Mosquito Gulch when the wind came up strong and the snow fell like a curtain. The temperature dropped to 32. It was more than I had hoped for. I had wished for snow as I had checked the weather forecast before I left (just so I would know how to pack). There was a slight chance of snow in the mountains over the weekend the website read. I would love that! I thought to myself and said to GOD. 

When I was a child my mother had this penchant for Pussy Willow.


She never grew any but any time we went to West Virginia in the spring my dad would pull off on the side of a country road and come back with an arm load of the stuff. My mother would give me a small branch full of the fluffy buds to pet. I was always amazed at how soft and beautiful it was. I was very allergic to cats and ended up in a Doctor’s office in Paris one night because of a cat, so, this is as close to petting one I could get. I had forgotten that until we stopped near a creek to watch the trout and there beside me were pussy willows. Fuzzy warm buds of soft fur. I reached my hand out wondering if they were really as soft as I remembered; they were and just as beautiful and mysterious, another wonderful gift on this day.

Way back into Mosquito Gulch is the London Mountain and at the base of the Mountain is the London Mill. 

The towers from the aerial tramway can still be seen far up on the mountain. It was the only way to get the gold ore to the mill. We played in the creek and looked for treasure in its muddy sides. Very tiny sparkles much finer than glitter is what we found and as a sun shower hit us the shovel we were using twinkled as if made from golden powder. The rivers, streams, brooks, creeks in Alaska all glitter and sparkle in the sun, the ones in Colorado do the same, they are beautiful.


I would like to tell you the adventures of the rest of the day but this would be a very long letter. I shall send this one off now and continue the tale for tomorrow.


Lady Tamara .www.HighlandTitles.com has other adventures to begin today and others to end. Have a profitable day me Hearties!

No comments:

Post a Comment