Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Magnolia Mill


We were not the only guests staying at the Lodge, we had some noisy guests who stayed outside. They decided that if it was daylight and they were up that everyone else should get up also. It was like it was 1774 and there were the town criers.  Honk Honk Honk…..rise and shine people!!!


The view from our front door was amazing.  Looking over the North Fork of the South Platte River across Highway 285 and up into the mountains. There was a brilliant Lightening storm one night with snow. One woman called it Thundersnow, which made it sound awesome, mysterious and a little spooky. We ordered a pizza grabbed a couple bottles of wine and drove back to our cozy little room where we lit a fire and relaxed.

We followed a trail and ended up at the base of Mt. Lincoln. In the Ghost town of Montgomery which at one time boasted the largest dancehall in the area.  Now all that is left is the Magnolia Mill and a few skeletal remains of some cabins. 




The majority of the town lies under a reservoir. It was beautiful yet there was a melancholy that surrounded me while I was there. The Middle Fork of the South Platte River tumbles down through the mountains and flows into the reservoir. 


Climbing over boulders and standing on ledges to get photos at an elevation over 11,000 feet was challenging and breathtaking, really! 

Lady Tamara www.LairdOfLochaber.com still has much of Colorado to explore and I am anxious for another trip. My thanks and love to Anthony for gifting me with these wonder-filled adventures.  On to Alaska!... or Palm Beach…. or ……

My garage door is being replaced today. My mother gave it to Shaggy for her Birthday along with a card.  Shaggy laughed at first and then appeared shocked and as I was about to explain she collapsed into devastation, she wanted cash for her move to Cali and as I was forming the words to comfort her she laughed again and looking at me said “ Now Mom, you cannot have a stroke from the stress and the hateful neighbors and I probably will not come home this Christmas.” I giggled and we drove on.

No comments:

Post a Comment