Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Mine Ebenezer

Some Sundays while I ghost hunt I like to listen to Folk Hymns. Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing came on and for some reason this line sticks in my brain…
        Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
        hither by thy help I'm come;
        and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
        safely to arrive at home.
Raise mine Ebenezer? Do you think Robert Robinson,

 the man who penned the words to the hymn was a necromancer and Ebenezer was his father or perhaps his son? The hymn was written in 1757 when he was 22. The words are set to an American folk tune known as Nettleton composed by John Wyeth.

Ebenezer * Eben- Ezer in Hebrew it is Even Ha'Ezer which means …stone of help.  Even Ha'Ezer is a location and it is mentioned in the book of Samuel. It is where a battle took place between Israelites and the Philistines.  The location has vanished and has not been seen in modern times.

 The Israelites carried the Ark of the Covenant into this battle in the hopes that they would win by Divine intervention. They lost this battle and the Ark was captured by the Philistines.
Many months pass by before the Israelites enter into battle again with the Philistines. Samuel offers a sacrifice to GOD and the Philistines are defeated.  Samuel erects a stone memorial which is called Even Ha'Ezer….  Ebenezer.

Makes more sense now.

I walked in my first 5k walk on Saturday. It took a little over an hour. I more or less just strolled through it. Some of the diplomats and me, we met up there to support a fellow diplomat for this her fund raiser. It was great fun and since I did not overstress my ankle I was happy to have been there.

Next projects on my horizon are Live Artz for October, the RMCC Gala, and the RMCC Mixer for October, putting a team together for the Pawgrrrita Pour Off and putting together another Live Artz for November.

I had the opportunity to purchase a $4 chair for my desk last week and failed to do so because it was a bit worn. What was I thinking? It sits in a dark corner under a desk? The only time light hits it is when I may on occasion sit there. However, if I had a chair I may sit there more often.

Well, after a holiday yesterday I am sure my in-boxes on my e-mail services are full. Off to do a bit of work.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment