Monday, August 11, 2014

Cancelled WHAT????

Hey Lady!

 I should be able to walk my dog without having to tolerate you mean mugging me. You had a little hairy dog. I had a little dog, a toy poodle to be exact. I was on one side of the street you were on the other. Our paths were not going to cross. Yes, my dog growled but not at you, at your dog. You were attempting to shoot rays of death out of your eyes at me. WHY? I shushed my dog as soon as the first mumble of a growl came out of his mouth. Was it because I was white? Or, was it because my poodle has been completely shaved except for the teal and purple Mohawk he is sporting down his back. He is a Water Dragon!!! 



He is expressing himself and his freedom from the confining dog shell he lives in. He has reached out beyond his perceived boundaries and has become more. Are you jealous or angry about his choices? Maybe you feel I have been cruel to color him so. Are you judging him? Me? Who appointed you to judge us? This lack of tolerance shocks me! You are free to shave your dog. Dye his fur. Shave your own head. Get a Mohawk. Bleach it out and dye it pink. Do it! Nike!

I am NOT in the habit of opening my mail. I only check the box once a month and throw it all away. However, as I was pulling out a Bath and Body works coupon (I love their candles!) an envelope fell out. It was from my insurance company and there was a refund check inside. This surprised me so I called them to ask why? I was about to be stunned. It had been canceled. WHAT??? 52 minutes later they could finally tell me why. Non – payment. Really? Then why the refund? Because……(are you ready for this?)  I had paid them. So I asked them reinstate it. Ok but first your account has been flagged by the bank. WHAT????? Yes because of a credit card. I do not have credit cards. Have not had any for about 12 years. I pay cash or it does not happen. She transfers me to the bank where the next rep is now treating me like I am Jessie James. I can hear the sarcasm in her voice as I try to figure this out. She tells me they will not reinstate my insurance until I pay the bank. WHAT??? I politely terminate the call. 



I call another insurance company and in less than 15 minutes I have insurance for about $22 less than I was paying. 


I am living in some crazy Utopia. My life is full of pale pink horses, giant pumpkins, gorgeous elves, bows and arrows and a whole other life you could not possibly imagine. Then last night I hear “Life In The Fast Lane” by the Eagles and it hits me. The part in the lyrics where is says…
”They went rushin' down that freeway, 
messed around and got lost 
They didn't care they were just dyin' to get off 
And it was life in the fast lane…”

Off? Get off?
 I always thought they were dyin’ to get off the freeway of their drug addiction but maybe, just maybe they were just dyin’ to get off on more drugs.  I believe my interpretation says a lot, about my optimism not my naivety. So what made me rethink the meaning after all these years? It is just how my mind works.

At my daughters Doctors office there is a sign in both English and Spanish that clearly says to not bring your children. Clearly says it. We will ask you to leave, is clearly stated. While we are sitting there a very pregnant young woman walks in followed by an elderly woman (mother?) and another elderly woman (tia? Abuella?) and a little toddler about 2ish. They all sit there smiling and coddling the toddler. Looking at me, looking at my daughter and smiling. Now do not get me wrong. I did not care that they brought their child, really I did not. But as I sat there I thought about the sign and the reason behind it. Then I caught my daughter giggling and flirting across at the baby boy and his smiling family. I realized where we were; a doctor’s office for pregnant women. They thought she, Odessie was pregnant. Those little old mamas were rejoicing with us not realizing that my daughter was there as a follow up to a surgical procedure where she lost her ovary and the other one was damaged and she may not ever have another baby.  There across from us was a stark reminder of this. The sign made sense. Not all women are there because they are pregnant. Some are there because they lost a baby too early, or for reasons similar to Odessie. Not all visits are happy occasions to listen to a heartbeat. I suddenly agreed with the sign. We were dealing with this loss very positively but that does not mean every woman does. We smiled at the women and I never said a thing. It was our loss not theirs and why have them feel bad? I just want to say, Mamas please leave your children at home when visiting your Doctor. That woman next to you may have just loss what you are carelessly fussing over. 

One word… Quince.

No comments:

Post a Comment