Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Tasting Whine

We were on a petite vacation up in Texas wine country. We paid our fare and got on the wine tour bus. It makes stops at 11 different wineries throughout the course of the day. You can get on or off at any winery along the way. They will even stow your wine back at headquarters so you do not have to lug it around.



At one stop a couple gets on board and warns us off a winery I had not been to but wanted to check out. They say it is not as good as Blasted Winery. I ask them if they like Blasted wines. "Yes they are the best in Texas!!" I think Blasted makes some of the worst wine in Texas so in my opinion their taste falls flat of what I would like.  The girls decide to pay heed to the couples warning and we do not get off the bus.



At another winery Carl, the staff member providing the tasting is ruling his little roost like the King of the cocks. Great! He is talking down to everyone as though we are all ignorant inferior creatures that need his guidance. So we start tasting and he starts bragging about medals won and blah blah blah regarding a particular wine I find to taste like a spring meadow looks; grass, earthy minerals, sunshine and flowers. He is describing a dark cherry and vanilla. I look to make sure we are on the same wine. He then pops off and says it won a medal. How wonderful!!?? He then gets cocky and tells me wine tastes different to everyone and that the judges found it good.  I set the glass down and at that moment my daughter says, "Mom! let it go."


 He backs away from us and slides down the bar to wait on others as a woman with a very pleasant smile moves in to help us. It felt like that moment when you are up at the black jack table and they order a dealer change. What??? This was a good thing as she has a warmer, more pleasant personality and smiles through her judgmental eyes.  She pours another taste from a different bottle and proceeds to explain what we are tasting as though we are again ignorant. I hold up my hand. She pauses. I am there to taste not be told what to taste. I grew up on California wine, "Oh! Napa wines lovely!!" Bloody hell NO I tell her and sigh with a smile Sonoma, to the coast. She looks puzzled. People!!!! California is NOT Napa. I also want to add that El Cielo Winery


in Mexico has the BEST Chardonnay


 have had since leaving California.  Actually all the wine from there I drank was amazing.

Why can't I just go and enjoy wine tasting? Why does the staff assume we are all ignorant imbeciles? Just because we are stuck here having to deal with the mostly bitter and overly mineral taste  of Texas  wines does not mean we do not love excellent wine.  Just because most people in Texas love their wines does not mean all of us do. Here the tasting notes will say "plum and  jammy". In California tasting notes will say  "on the nose rich ripe strawberries and pomegranate, subtle undertones of spice and cedar heavy body structure and a velvety finish."

Tasting Notes

With candied red fruit and simmering holiday spice aromas, this wine bursts onto the palette with juicy, mouthwatering red stone fruit. This lighter style offers a zippy Russian River acidity that dances around happily on your tongue. The finish on this wine leaves one smiling with fresh warm berry pie and allspice cloves. We anticipate this wine cellaring very well for 5-8 years.
Maybe it is just me. I like to taste and write what I taste and then discuss it with staff not be told what I should taste.

Let me bloody TASTE the wine!!!

Ok I am done whining.

No comments:

Post a Comment