Monday, November 2, 2015

The Zombie Ballerina Clown



My first child's first Halloween, she was 8 months old, I made her a cheerleader costume and took her around to a few houses just for fun and because she looked so cute with her yarn pompoms and little skirt. Everyone loved her until we came upon one woman who said "isn't she a little young and aren't you a little old for trick or treating. You just want candy. Go buy some" and she slammed the door. I was crushed and actually the thought about the candy never crossed my mind in that way. I was just taking my child out and had been turning down the candy. I went home and vowed to never treat a young mom like that nor a small child nor any teenager. It is Halloween!!

In Em's bag of goodies from Halloween last night was a scripture lollipop. 


The cellophane around it had scripture written on it and included a small card with explanation. I thought this was an awesome idea and when she asked what kind of lollipop it was I told her it was a Jesus lollipop and it was to be eaten on a day she was sad so she could be cheered up by knowing Jesus loved her.  Sounds good right? She informed me 10 minutes later that she was sad and needed her Jesus lollipop. She ate half of it and then threw the rest away telling me she was no longer sad and could she eat a Hershey bar from her bag of treats. She is her mothers daughter. 

 My daughter has a Zombie app on her phone. Ems went around the table taking everyone's photo and then turning us all into Zombies with peeling skin, grunts, growls, popped out eyeballs, exposed flesh and bone and blood and laughing. 

            This is the Zombie she created of my photo.

A zombie is what she decided on for Halloween. A ballerina who is a clown who was turned into a Zombie. 


She wanted to be drenched in blood and now this morning there are stripes all down her from her chin to her belly in a vivid shade of pink. Stains from the fake blood. She laughs and finds it funny. 

Today she is running around in pink fangs and a unicorn hat. Is this what happens to Ballerina Zombies after eating candy? Maybe the child ate a unicorn and wears its horn as a trophy!! 


Halloween was always a huge deal in our house. Mom decorated the house in plenty of Halloween themed things, pumpkins, black cats and witches everywhere. She always bought candy in flavors she and my Grandmother enjoyed so they could eat the leftovers. They never tolerated the rude "trick or treat smell my feet" line and refused to give treats to those who said it. Mother took great care in creating us wonderful costumes and the one year I wanted a store bought boxed costume was the worst Halloween of my little life. I was unhappy, looked wretched, could barely walk and could not see out of the mask. I cried the entire time. My dad had to explain to several people why I was so unhappy. Many of them told me I was very cute but I knew I was not and could not wait to get back home and throw the horrid thing away. 


One year my two youngest wanted to be witches so I got them costumes and made myself up as a witch and we went to Mom's house to trick her neighborhood because we lived out in the country.  Mother wanted to partake in the fun so we put together a witch costume for her as well and we all went out. Mom had more fun I think than the rest of us. 

Halloween is the Best Holiday.

On another note....

My Grand daughter is watching a TV show called Daniel Tiger a production by the Mr. Roger Neighborhood people. The lesson is about Babysitting and that grown-ups come back. I have found myself extremely fussed up over this recurring theme which has carried on to the next episode because, grown-ups sometimes don't  come back. Why would a child's program say this and teach this when the truth is sometimes they just don't come back? A parent can die either by illness or accident or malicious intent. They say good-bye and kiss their child and go off to work or a trip or to the store and never come back. Sometimes they go out and find a new wife and make a new family and never come back. Sometimes they do something horrible and go to prison and never come back. Sometimes they decide drugs are their family and after years of abusing and neglecting, stealing from and lying to their family they never come back. Dear Daniel Tiger the truth is grown-ups do NOT always come back, and sometimes Daniel, it is a good thing. 

What was nice about the show is after the animated Daniel has an adventure they show a real child going through the same situation. A day at school, doctor appointment, babysitter.... you know child challenges. 

Now what is my little Zombie up to she is bring very quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment