Friday, October 28, 2011

The window


I had to deliver a packet of tickets to a local university. I have been to the campus but I have never had to find a building on campus, until, yesterday. I bravely exit the vehicle and hike from the parking lot stopping an intelligent looking young man who points toward some buildings and says turn right and there it is. Uhm…. But it wasn’t. I hiked to and fro for what felt like hours. I stopped in the Library, more unclear directions. I stopped a girl who giggled and admitted it was her first semester and all she knew was her 2 classes were in that building (pointing) and the finance office is over there (pointing to some buildings about a half mile away). Now picture this, it is 84 outside which is HOT, I am dressed to board a plane to Colorado where last I heard the temp was 5. I now need to shower again. I never found the administration offices. I did have an altercation in the parking lot …LOL…big surprise! I was driving down an isle looking to park. There was a car stopped at the end. I assumed he was waiting for a car to back out of a spot. He was. The little red car backed out. While he backed out another car further down backed out, excellent, we could both park. The guy in the red car says something to the waiting car and pulls back in to his spot. The waiting car backs up and into the vacated spot. How Rude!! I wait for the little male creature that had just been rude as well as disrespectful to me to leave his car and walk on away. He does not, I creep my car up toward him since it is the direction I am facing and I need to find a parking spot. He still does not exit the car. I stop in front of him and look over. He freaks out and looks away. Shame on you!!! Would you have done that to your mom? My guess is yes!
I board the plane find a seat get cozy and we take off. After we reach our cruising altitude the flight attendant comes on and announces that there will be no Luv Peanuts being served on this flight because there is a person on board who is allergic. I have never heard of such a thing have you? This must be a serious allergy. We get pretzels instead.
We are flying North I am seated on the east side of this plane. I look out my window and I see darkness, stars to the side of me and clouds below me. Fields and fields of clouds looking like rich lush farm lands. Some looking round like cotton balls in rows. Some longer and wispy like wheat, large rolls like watermelons, clusters like grapes. Then all of a sudden there is a burst of light, as though someone on the west side of the plane turned on a 200 watt bulb. The plane has turned just enough so that the sun is now glaring in through the windows. I cannot see it but I can see how it is still vivid daylight. I look right it is night, I look left it is not. We were flying on the edge between the two. I have seen this on satellite maps of the world where day and night just stop and start. I was on that point. It was incredibly surreal.
 As I peered from my window the clouds cleared away and were replaced by snow covered countryside. At first I thought it was all wet and just reflecting back but then I realized it was all very pale like everything had been given a thorough dusting with powdered sugar. The little bit of light that reached the ground was reflecting and refracting off the crystals of snow and ice that covered the world below me. It was a fairy tale environment. A land created by C.S. Lewis from Narnia when the Queen ruled.
To my left the sky had become something incredibly beautiful. The sun had sunk below the horizon. The edge where land met sky was a vivid shade of reddish orange, blending upward into the soft shade of an overripe apricot. This melted into a washed out shade of aqua and changed abruptly to the blue of a robin’s egg and then dark into the night sky that had been my companion. I was mesmerized and the man on the end of my row looked up from his paper at me and stared a moment he then slowly turned his head to follow my gaze, looked quickly back at me then back out the window and back again at me. I recall thinking….”Sir, have you ever seen anything that glorious?” there was no answer because it was only a thought. My father used to describe these visions he would see in flight to us when we were younger. He could not speak of his missions but he could describe the sky. He could tell us of the colors, the stars, the contrast between water and land and clouds. I would try and imagine, I would long to see what he saw just like he would describe it. I could hear him last night…. “This is what I meant.”
Did GOD paint me a beautiful back drop for my flight because I am Lady Tamara  www.LairdOfLochaber.com or because Tamara is one of HIS Ladies?  I shall believe it is both.
What is painted on your back drop today?

No comments:

Post a Comment