Thursday, September 12, 2013

Cousin Al and the Earps

I am having one of those I have nothing to say days. I hate it but at the same time I love it.

I stumbled upon a fascinating cousin while I was ghost hunting over the Labor Day weekend.  His adventures are the stuff movies are made of.  I wanted to do a lot more research on him before I told you about him. He was born in 1842 in Virginia. His death is a mystery; I can find no evidence of it anywhere except he was last seen in Salem Oregon, but that is a tale for another day. In 1881 he was living in Tombstone, Cochise County, Arizona.  Sound familiar this place called Tombstone in Arizona?  How about the year? 1881?  On October 16 1881 Cousin Al, became enraged after arguing with Harry Barron over a bill.  He was using “abusive” language. A bootblack who worked at the establishment interfered in the argument. Cousin Al then pulled out a pocketknife and took two swipes at the bootblack cutting his head just above his ear.  Guess who happened to be on the scene?  Marshall Earp. He arrested Al and charged him “assault with intent to kill” handing him over to the Sheriff.  Does the month October in 1881 bring anything to mind in Tombstone, Cochise County, Arizona?  Allow me to refresh your memory…. 
                                                  Tombstone 1881

    On October 26 1881 at about 3:00 in the afternoon Virgil Earp, Morgan Earp, Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday had a gunfight with the Clanton brothers,   McLaury Brothers, and Billy Claiborn. 
                                                  Walter Virgil Earp


Is that the only connection between Al and the Earp’s? The answer to this is no.  I will close now with a smile.  Remember he was last seen in Salem, Oregon. He was also in his 20s during the Civil War. 

Oh there is more to tell about Cousin AL. Are you interested? Maybe a little curious?  Here is another interesting tidbit to ponder the movie “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” was filmed at The Oregon State Hospital.  This facility is located in Salem Oregon and was known until 1913 as Oregon State Insane Asylum.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment