Monday, August 27, 2012

Am I visiting?


I am going through a box of stuff that I had put aside for Ghost Hunting and I found a Pan American Passenger ticket and Baggage Check. I believe it was my GrandPops, from about 1970ish. 


This must be a collector item. I see them on e-bay from .50 to $28.50. Keeping it! I found checks my dad had written from 1953. All of them were from West Virginia, rent, transportation, cash, to his brother, Montgomery Wards, Sears, and Baptist Youth Assembly. However, I also found one written to American Laundry in San Antonio and one to a Lt. Something for a camera cashed at a bank in San Antonio. It appears he was here for maybe a week. I also found a paper from his High School referring to him as Sammy. My dad has never seemed like a Sammy. But then I went by Tammy in High School and I certainly am NOT a Tammy now. Hopefully I can finish up the box tonight.
                                                       Me in High School

So once again I am attempting to gain access to the Hospital on Fort Sam and once again the overbearing male human creature at the gate has to give me problems. Let me clear this up right now. I entered the facility 5 times 4 of those times I was given attitude. Let me assure you I had none.  He wants to know where I am going. I point at the hospital and say hospital. He shakes his head no (is this action a part of their training? Is it supposed to deter a lie because my first reaction to his negative attitude is to fabricate a charming story other than the truth I have just told him? Does he want me to say I am going to drive over to the bowling alley and paint all the pins green?) I pause as I am looking at him on purpose as if he has suddenly grown another head that looks like Harry Potters. I say ICU in the hospital. Now comes the very intelligent response from him…”Are you visiting someone there?”  Can this really be happening? Am I on a game show? Did he seriously ask me if I am visiting someone in ICU? I look at his face. He has no idea he has just asked me a dumb question. He is glaring again. My first response is “no you bumble head I am going to ICU to 1. Steal all of their scissors. 2. Eat all of the cookies in the waiting room and 3. Paint Tamara was here on all the walls.”  The response he gets is a head nod and me glaring back at him while smiling. “Drive safe” he says. I making three turns on a street with 20 posted as the speed limit. It is NOT and active run-way.  Another time the male creature at the gate asked me what my business was here. Well smart guy it is 7:30 at night what business do you think I am here for? It is a hospital!  I am a drug dealer and night shift nursing and maintenance staff are my best customers!!!!  I am NOT here for business! I am here to visit a human in the hospital!!!! All in all it was fun adventure.

My Devotional studies this morning had this to say…. We think self-esteem lies in our accomplishments and that our accomplishments are held safely in the past. We honor the past as the storehouse of our essence-but it is the prison of our soul.  The past can’t tell us what we are. All it can tell us is what we are not this instant. I had to think upon this and I have discovered that I am not an 8 year old ballerina or a 12 year old horse-woman or even the Volunteer of the year. I was but I am not. Those are memories. What I am right now is a joy-filled writer of this breakfast letter.

Lady Tamara www.HighlandTitles.com is mentioned in the link!

No comments:

Post a Comment