Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Teapot Lament

I was driving down the boulevard at the suggested speed limit when I see to my left a car pull up to the stop sign and then proceed on to making their turn. I had to apply a good size amount of pressure to my brakes and slow down. The daft creature driving did not speed up. Much to my irritation it crawled on along the road almost slower than at the speed at which they made the turn. I would have pulled to the right to pass but my turn was to the left and we were not far from it, It slides over into the left turn lane at the turn before mine and I am happy it will no longer  cause me a hazard. So I speed back up to the suggested speed limit and the dim-witted creature just continues to drive along in the turn lane well past the turn all the way to my turn. I had to again apply brake pressure so I could maneuver into the turn lane. The light is red so we (I) wait. After a pause the creature turns left and continues on down the road. But not me, the light, you see is still red. Drunk? Stoned? Grief stricken? My favorite… in love?

Do you call it a couch, sofa, or divan?

Divan comes from the Persian word diwan. A long seat formed of a mattress against a wall along which pillows are placed. Sometimes the mattress was positioned on a frame or a raised dais.  These seating structures were normally found in council chambers where politicians or royal council would gather to discuss matters of state. In Persia the council was called a diwan. 

Sofa is from the Aramaic word sippa meaning mat. It becomes suffa in Arabic meaning carpet or divan. It is a Turkish word and ended up as sofa.

Couch is from the French word couche, which comes via a verb that means to lie down. Couches were intended for reclining.
Sort of makes a regular piece of furniture sound so much more Romantic.

My faithful teapot has died. It has dissolved into a 1014 cracks fissures and piths. I loved that pot; it was white ceramic and came with an insulated metal warmer and my misty green Chinese silk tea cozy fit on it beautifully. I am pondering ideas on a proper burial for it. I am leaning toward pansies being planted in it. 

Meanwhile what to do? This morning I opted for a silver teapot that belonged to my mother. Part of a tea service my father bought for her from a shop in London. There is water stained note, written with a fountain pen in the bottom of the pot that says James Drain & Sons, cerico 1875, Floral Re`pousse`

Very NOT enlightening. However  it does sound like a mystery. Meanwhile, I need to either find a tea cozy to fit the silver teapot or the china teapot or buy another teapot to fit the existing tea cozies I have.

I wish all my troubles were this trivial.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment