Thursday, March 15, 2012

War of Worlds


I had just sent out the breakfast letter when there was a terrific banging and screeching of metal and horrible grinding moan. My daughter came flying out of her room and straight into mine. Her eyes were huge and she looked like a spooked rabbit. “Is it the War of the Worlds Mom?” What was that noise? Are we at war?”

 She was serious. No it is a truck load of dirt for the newly constructed house behind us. I really had no idea. I knew it was not the end of the world. I knew aliens had not attacked. I knew it was a truck and it was either unloaded or loaded something. So when it came time to watch our family night movie what did she pick? War of the Worlds.

The human behavior in the movie shocks me. The behavior of the children shocked her. When I asked her if we were in a situation of panic and emergency and I was telling you to do something or not do something would you do it? No she said she would be curious and want to check it out. Well there you go. I told her I would tell her what to do only twice and if she did not heed my warnings or advice I would leave her. This shocked her. We went through a few past experiences and she agreed about my wisdom and in beautiful independent warrior woman style looked at me and said…..yeah, but.....  


That warrior princess woman/child is un-nesting. Soon she will fly maybe a month, maybe a year. She has undecorated her room, why, because that is not who she is anymore. When I ask who she is, she does not know. This confuses her and she panics. I let it settle on her and then I offer her a way out. I know that it is not this room that she wants to re-nest. It is another room somewhere I cannot see, and neither can she but we both know it is out there. It has not been hard to let any of them go. They never were mine. They were just little people that needed what I could bring to them. Whether they found anything of use or not they may never realize but I can see it. This one is a bit different. She is the baby. The last one. I am looking forward to my “own” place. I will not stay in this big house. I have been here long enough. My gypsy pirate is stirring. She is restless and this restlessness is causing her to be fussed up. Change is coming I can feel it. The anxiety of this is near overwhelming most of the time. I cannot focus, I am in constant motion. I am sighing. I am watching the horizon.


But then maybe all I really need to do is change the curtains in the dining room and shampoo the carpets. Add the title Lady www.HighlandTitles.com to my Passport and catch a flight to Spain.


Curtain shopping anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment