Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The case if the Carya illinoinensis


I had an intense craving for pecan pie last night so off we went to the store. I bought a single serving slice of Southern Georgia Pecan Pie.

 I wonder did the pecans in that pie actually come from Georgia. I ate it when I got home in about three bites. This had me wondering on my walk this morning, about, what must be in a pecan, what is the nutritional value. What was in that little treasure that my body was screaming at me to eat?  When you listen your body will tell you what it wants to eat I remember from studies and notes and practical experience. So I looked it up.

Vitamin E lots of Vitamin E. This vitamin E offers neurological protection ( I need that).  They have several different forms of antioxidants found only in pecans. Gamma tocopherols found in vitamin E. Sounds like some sort of laser gun emittance .  Inhibit unwanted blood oxidation; we do not want this to happen, it is like rust in your blood. More antioxidant activity than any other tree nut.

They lower cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. Gluten free.

Here is a fun one. They aid in weight loss. I am moving to a pecan farm!  They may increase your metabolic rate and aid in the feeling of fullness after eating.  No sodium.  Dietary fiber, 19 vitamins and minerals including potassium and vitamin A. WOW!, B-1, Thiamin, Protein, and magnesium.

Very little saturated fat and  no trans-fat.

According to the Georgia Pecan Commission ; Pecans have an excellent nutritional profile. Sounds like a dating sight.

Facts to WOW and amaze your friends. (In case you are ever on Jeopardy or that other show in the taxi).

There are approximately 78 pecans in every pie.( It is a weight ratio thing.)

Pecans are the only nut trees native to America!  Well now how do you feel about Pecan Pie on our American Thanksgiving?

Georgia is the top Pecan producing state and has been since the 1800s.
Here is something to blow you away. There are over 500 varieties of Pecans.
Pecans are part of the hickory family.

The word Pecan is from the Algonquian word meaning "nut". Algonquians are Native to America. They were the welcoming committee for the Pilgrims.

President Thomas Jefferson was enamored by the flavor of pecans. He had trees imported from Louisiana to Montcello.

The Atlanta committee for the 1996 Olympics held in Atlanta chose Pecan wood for the handles of the torches that lit the bowl of flames!

I will leave you with one last fact. Nut is the root word of Nutrition.

Lady Tamara www.LochaberHighlandEstates.com is going back to the store for some pecans. She can make her own pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment