Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Blizzard of 1717


I admit I was intrigued by the “Do you recognize this little girl” headline and the old photo. 

Since I am very into ghost hunting my kin folk I decided to check out the article. I did not recognize the girl and the fact that it was found near a dead soldier of the civil war; I realized it was not one of mine. I had no kin folk die in the civil war, maybe kin of folk but, no direct kin to either of my parents.  However there are eight photographs that they are actually trying to identify that were found on or near bodies from battlefields. In the effects of Joseph Warren were found a photo of a woman and anther photo of two little girls and a woman. I quickly jumped on to the web site knowing I had some Warrens. I find Joseph Warren Russell. Who was a young man in the civil war. I look for a trace of name trail going back but find no Joseph just Warrens from his mother’s side. The only photo they are showing is the one little girl; I have a photo of young Joseph Warren Russell in his uniform maybe if they would show the rest we could see a resemblance. It is kind of sad, these lost people. My Joseph is not in my direct research line but now I am curious about him. Today will be Joseph day.

Speaking of kin folk……   You just have to love the Irish relatives. 

They just do not quietly do things. My 8th Great Grandfather was from Armagh, Northern Ireland. He arrived in America about 1713ish with a toddler and a newborn (Daniel was born at sea) and his wife.  He was a weaver at a mill in Pennsylvania. He kept a flask on him at all times and was drinking heavily one cold, night coming home during a blizzard February of 1717. He both passed out and fell from his horse, he was so drunk he fell off and passed out, the storm was so bad he just got off the horse and bunkered down in a ditch. However this happened, his horse went home that night but Luke did not. For weeks they searched for him and, as spring came and the snow melted they found him.  There was no sign of foul play. Grandmother Susannah, his wife, gave birth to their 4th child Luke jr. a few months later.  She was disinherited by her father for marrying Luke. He drug her to America on a ship in 1713 with a 1year old toddler while she was about 9 months pregnant and then dies leaving her pregnant with 3 children all under the age of 6.  Susannah will later meet a man of great wealth, marry her move her to Philadelphia where she, I understand had more children and lived happily ever after.

She got her Orlando. Where is mine?

I had three ripening bananas that needed to be used or tossed so I decided to make muffins. I had packed all my recipe books so I googled me up a recipe and went to creating. I opened the cabinet to get out the muffin pan when low and behold I had packed it. I had muffin batter and nothing. I grabbed a small cake pan I had not packed because I was craving a cake and made a banana nut coffee cake with streusel. Yummers!!!! My home smelled delightful for hours.

What is this rumor I am hearing about no more CSI Miami? That all that will be on TV is reality shows? I said years ago that TV will become Running Man and it has. Glad I do not watch but once a week with Mother. This explains why I have not seen Horatio in months!

Lady Tamara  www.LairdOfLochaber.com has a networking Luncheon to prepare for today….but first let’s look for Joseph.

No comments:

Post a Comment