Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Lisianthus


Every so I often I remember a sweater or blouse I once had and wonder what happened to it. I look in my closet and find clothes in there that I have to wonder “what was I thinking when I bought it”. Right now I have nothing that goes with nothing. Skirts that are in beautiful shades of greens and browns and not a green or brown sweater in sight, three grey sweaters and not a single skirt in grey, not a white or black top anywhere; my closet is an orphanage. To be honest it makes dressing a challenge… how can I make this look good. Today it will be pinstriped trousers in greys and a grey sweater, the challenge what to wear under the sweater.

Yesterday a photo circulated across the internet about the Old Guard at the tomb of the unknowns. It was them in the rain and was implied it was as of that morning and was in the onslaught of hurricane Sandy. It was not; it had been taken on another day during a rain storm. But the point was they will be there doing their job regardless of the weather. The photo finally caught the attention of the command and they posted a more public schedule. That included the meals that will be served to the soldiers to make it easier on them as they perform their duties. The photo had a profound effect on the masses that shared and passed it on. I love it when America randomly gets on the same rhythm for even just a moment.

Has anyone ever heard of a Lisianthus? I had not until a week ago and was amazed it is a flower that grows in the Southern United States. You can find it on the prairies of Colorado and Nebraska all the way to Texas where it is known as a Texas Bluebell.

 Just wild in grasslands but it is also cultivated for flower shops.  This is what caught my attention. Flower shops, I have never seen any of these in any bouquet or arrangement in any flower shop. In the wild they are blue but cultivated varieties can be various shades of lavender, purple, pink and white.

 There is also a double petal variety that looks like a rose. The name Lisianthus comes from the Greek words lysis, meaning dissolution and anthos, meaning flower. They are linked to feelings of romantic desire. Well that just explains why I have never heard of them. Apparently no one has felt romantic desire toward me. Lust yes, romance….mmmmm… apparently not. These do fairly well as potted plants and so I shall be hunting some down this spring. They are very beautiful.

Lady Tamara  www.HighlandTitles.com has a meeting this morning and a dressing challenge so I must be getting at it.
What is your challenge today?
If it is what to get your brother-in-law for Christmas check this out  www.LairdOfLochaber.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment