Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Love me some Marines


Being in San Diego for the past several days has been the remedy for an ailment I could not quite name. 

The anticipation of an adventure far from home, the different scenery, the weather, the company of a man who enjoys being around my caprice.  His texts all day that broadcast to me he was excited about our adventure.

We were gypsies all weekend. The first night we stayed in La Mesa.  He had wine and cheeses and crackers waiting in the room. He even had a bag of Godiva truffles knowing Godiva is my favorite.  He prepared this snack and served it, knowing in my world the real time was midnight and I was very exhausted.  Upon checkout I saw Batman and Alfred.  Batman was following and chattering away while Alfred got a bucket of ice.  But to be honest it was a little creepy to see a little boy dressed in a Batman costume at a hotel on a school day with an old man.  They were not being sneaky about their activity but what better place to hide…. Maybe they were a family and lived there.

We next moved to Carlsbad.  Lunch in Encinitas and then we toured a couple wineries, 

played at the beach for about an hour; had a wonderful day and dinner.


 Saturday we were at the Miramar Air Show by 9am.  It was huge! There had to have been thousands of people. Amazing shows all day and a performance from the Raptor that was unbelievable. If you ever see an opportunity to see it …GO! I have been to many Airshows and never had this kind of experience. 

The Marines were the best hosts. Pleasant, friendly, commanding, they were in charge but gently.  We experienced one take on a crowd of clueless people in his stern faced, drill sergeant voice and  get them regrouped and going the right way and then after our applause turn on us and with a smile bigger than his face greet us with a cheerful “Good Evening Folks”.  I felt safe and secure (unusual for me). They wanted to help. They even would hold Moola my Companies stuffed cow mascot for photos. 

The Airforce was not so inclined.  The night time show was spectacular with afterburner runs by an F-18 and fireworks and the Wall of Fire. 

My next stop was the Gaslamp District of San Diego . I explored the old buildings and their histories, tales and folklore.  I had a day to myself and as I enjoyed the down time I read a propaganda magazine about 100 things to do in San Diego. Next trip I am picking 10 and completing them. Probably not the kayaking though, that sounds like work.

Lady Tamara www.LairdOfLochaber.com loves this world exploring. I could write and photograph my way through it for the rest of my life. Is that a job? Are they hiring? 

No comments:

Post a Comment