Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mother's Champagne


Dinner at Mothers was a weird adventure.

Weird thing number one she did was encouraging us to take the half full bottle of Champagne that was left after the floor party. My mother does not drink. So her encouraging us to have a glass was odd. I poured Shaggy a glass partly because she likes Champagne but also partly if Mom was weird I would shock her back with her Grandbaby drinking. It did not work which was odd. So I poured myself a glass and drank it, picked up the bottle and carried it back to her place all the while feeling like I had stepped into a John Woo film and it was about to turn weirder. It did; weird thing number 2. Retired Brig. Gen. X.

I show up at Mothers last night to find her very animated and a little fussed. Her floor had a party which she helped hostess so I expected there to be a bit excitement. The party ended at 5 we arrived at about 5:45. My plan was to give her time to wrap up the party and get back to her apartment and relax before we arrived. Notice I said my plan. Her plan was the same right up to the moment Retired Brigadier General  X showed up. He was new to the facility, having lived there less than a month. It was his first encounter with a floor party. Mother noticed him lingering afterwards so she went over to chat him up. She liked him and he is also very interested in Ghost Hunting (my phrase for genealogy) so she kept him chatting in the hopes I would arrive. I did but about 5 minutes after he left. She finished her goodbyes and picking up, cleaning up, and moving the trash can. She was in a hurry to get back to her apartment. We no sooner opened the door stepped in and she turned on me and scornfully asked what took me so long she had cornered a General and was waiting. She has never been a match-maker mother so this amused me. She was NOT amused. She proceeded to enlighten me about him. “Whoa  Mom! Are you trying to say you were holding him prisoner until I got there because you were trying to set me up with him?” Yes came her reply. Shaggy and I both laughed. “WOW Grammy I cannot believe you are trying to hook my Mom up with a guy in a retirement home!” We laughed again and finally she grinned and sat down.


I am sure she will continue in her pursuit of match-making. I could tell she was a bit hurt we had laughed at her actions so after a few hours I asked her about what she discovered about the General. She perked up told me all about his family and what size apartment he lived in and then he went from being 50 to 60 and then to no older than 70. It was too much! Then mother calculated that the reason he was in such a small unit was because his ex-wife had taken all his money. So you are trying to set me up with a broke General? I am thinking. This almost causes me to laugh again.  She then tells me he is a bit heavy. Oh so he is broke and fat? More squelched giggles.  I am sure I will meet him.

Lady Tamara www.LairdOfLochaber.com and General X

Sounds more like a novel. Could be a James Bond story,

 Maybe Jason Bourne is involved, 

or The Saint.

Who did your mother set you up with?

No comments:

Post a Comment