Friday, October 26, 2012

Wheat pinwheel


I had no internet connection. So I went to the box to mess with it and when I came back my unique signature is not even registering. I or rather it does not exist.  Disturbing.
Even more disturbing is as I changed paragraphs just now the font type, size and color just changed to something completely different. After several attempts I have had to start over.  Must be the chill in the air; I should have made a larger press of coffee.

Shaggy made some strawberry muffins yesterday out of some late season strawberries. She thinks they are tasteless and horrible (The muffins) I think they are good. If she had added a wee bit of mace they would have been amazing! We have been using unbleached flour when she decided on our last trip to market she wanted to use whole wheat, unbleached, flour. I told her that the taste of everything we bake would change. She braved onward with her idea. 

OK. So I think that is in part what she tastes. This flour also behaves a little different when used. It is great in the pumpkin cookies. I like it in the muffins I can taste the wheat.

 However the pizza I made last night was odd. I made biscuit dough from the flour and some crushed rosemary then rolled it into a pan. I spread on some tomato sauce I had left over from marinara sauce I made over the weekend. Layered on some Mozzarella, pepperoni, onion, mushroom and then some Romano, Parmesan and asiago   cheese. I could still smell the sweetness of the wheat and my appetite vanished. I could see my taste for pizza forever being marred so I rolled the whole thing up and sliced it into pinwheels and baked it. The aroma coming from the kitchen was wonderful. I started to think maybe I could eat or at least try a bite.

 The wheat, rosemary and pepperoni were all meshing into a vapor of yummy. I pulled it out of the oven and after it cooled I nibbled on a bite. Not too bad. It did not look like a pizza and neither did it smell like a pizza so I was not expecting it to taste like a pizza.  My pinwheels were a mouth pleasing combination of tart tomato, spicy pepperoni, sweet wheat, and smoky cheese all at once. The contrast was beautiful. All I needed was a sassy 2009 Pinot Noir.

I still have no internet. Did Frankenstorm change direction and head for Texas?

Lady Tamara www.HighlandTitles.com is going to go shake that little black box until it bleeds!

Success!!!! Got my Scottish Warrior Lady skills on it and triumphed! Boudicca!!!! Yes she was my ggggggggggggg great grandmother.

What battle will you win today?

No comments:

Post a Comment