Monday, October 8, 2012

Trouble with Johann Peter


It is here, the chill October air I long for all year.  It was 63 yesterday. I felt like I had been released from a long dreary sail through the Doldrums. Lady Tamara www.HighlandTitles.com is JOYOUS!! 

 Shaggy and I had Halloween decorating day. I made a pizza and we watched Haunted House.  What is it about October that I love so much?  Pumpkins, the cooler temperatures, the anticipation of Halloween night, costumes, it is the gateway to the Holidays, and hot Cocoa seems most appropriate.

I live behind a taqueria and the delicious smells that waft over the parking lot, alley, fence and another parking lot are amazing in the pre-dawn as I take my morning walk. I am practically starving by the time I get back home. It is not Mexican food smells it is bacon, pancakes, syrup, coffee, sausage, and biscuits. The coffee I probably imagine.  Visions of tables laden with this bounty fill my mind.  The desire to make it haunts me. I am determined to do so until I remember I do not have a staff to clean my kitchen, but I feed the dream as I walk through the brisk morning.  My goal; home to a huge jug of steaming maple syrup being poured over 2 pancakes as large as my plate moist from the creamy golden butter that has melted over them. I know I cannot eat it all but I will try. 

 There is a plate overloaded with bacon; strips of crispy, crackling bacon, sausage patties, and beautiful rounds of juicy Canadian bacon.  Glasses of bright reed cranberry juice, little pitchers of cream for coffee with a hint of cinnamon.  I can hear my grandpa asking if us kids want to go with him to town for a haircut, load up some feed and head out to the end of Tom’s Run to check on the Holstein and maybe  Lock’s dog has had those pups. It is not dreams that surround me it is memories.  Yes, I would like to go.

Seeing as how it is Monday and I have been ghost hunting let me tell you of the challenge I ran across.  Johann George, Johann Peter, Johannes.  Some people wrote them as John George Lough which is incorrect. The correct way to refer to him is George Lough. The Johann is a Saint name for Saint John. German naming traditions put a saint name in front of a secular name so; Johann George and Johann Peter are just George and Peter. Johannes is really just John.  Same with Anna Catherine Matics she is really Catherine Matics.  This can be very chaotic when looking for past records. Johannes is John and John George is George unless you are ignorant of naming traditions and then you write and record them both as Johns So there is a line of John Sr. and John Jr. and John III when that is NOT true and we who know better are left to unravel your mess! Johannes may have a fourth son named Johannes but now you have a family of 6 sons all named John or Anna.

One more thing…  Pumpkin Bread with Marscapone whipped cream. MMmmmm. Made this up yesterday from some leftover pumpkin and a 130 year old gingerbread recipe.  My house smelled like Christmas.
Any Johann’s in your family tree?

No comments:

Post a Comment