Thursday, September 27, 2012

Unraveling Spelt


Good morning. I was asked a question yesterday I could not provide an answer for. It was unusual to not know a little something about a subject. My mother picked up a loaf of Spelt Bread at the market. She turned and asked what it was. No clue, a type of fish, grain, baking method, nut?  So together lets discover what this is.

Spelt is a variety of wheat. It is called Dinkle in Germany and Farro in Italy. Spelt has a higher protein level than other wheat. Many people with wheat allergies can eat spelt. Here are some spelt statistics comparing it to other wheat varieties ….

1            30% higher in Thiamin (Vitamin B1)
2           25% higher in B6
3          45% higher in Vitamin E
4        Higher in unsaturated fatty acids (mainly Linol acid and Linoleen acid) which are important for regeneration of nerve cells
5         It is warming and supports good blood circulation
6          It is higher in water solubility, making it easier to digest and aiding in the nutrients being more easily absorbed by the body.
7         Higher percentage of Amino Acids
          Higher level of L-Tryptophan which in turn promotes and aids in the production of serotonin.

a      Carbohydrates 70.19 g
                     Dietary fiber 10.7 g
                      Iron  4.44 mg
1                  Magnesium          136 mg

Spelt was common during the Bronze Age up through the Medieval Times. It was introduced into America in the 1890s. The flavor is slightly sweet and nutty. The husk that protects the kernel unlike other varieties protects it from pollutants and insects so pesticides are not needed during growing.

Well now I need some.

Has anyone else tried to change a ticket with Delta? I did and I can tell you I will never fly with Delta after this. First they wanted $150 just to change it. Then I had to make up the difference in the cost of the flight.  T paid $241 for a round trip to San Diego. To change the return trip date plus the fee was going to be $373. I laughed. She was not amused by my laughter. I exclaimed that I had not paid that much for the entire fare. She assured me she knew how much I had paid and was impressed with my ticket purchasing savvy but if I were to buy the ticket today it would have been $479 round trip. But I am NOT buying it today.  WOW!!! I am thinking. Ok Linda well thank you for…. (I pause) …your help today, she gives me the scripted good …blah blah….flying Delta….blah blah… Again…

I have gone through my list of acquaintances and I have not one who lives in San Diego except a former boss whom I have not spoken to in 16 years. So I shall get my Warrior Pirate on and conquer San Diego on my own for 2 days. WhhooooTTTT!!  I love an adventure!!!!

Did you people know that Delta, Air France and KLM are all owned by the same company? I like KLM. I am going to have to unlike them now.  Dear Southwest I would have used you again except you do NOT fly into Palm Springs. Please change this!!!!

At the flat I live in there is red wood mulch decorating some of the spaces around the complex. For the past two weeks they have been replacing the red mulch with red dirt. Weird I am thinking but maybe more cost effective.  Yesterday I came home to turf being laid out over the red sandy looking dirt. No means of watering said dirt anywhere. I am wondering what is next; removal of some of the older shabby looking shrubs?  I am intrigued.

Lady Tamara www.HighlandTitles.com has a budget to work on.

Maybe I can grow some smelt on my little patch of Scotland www.LochaberHighlandEstates.com with my pumpkins.
Have a great adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment