Thursday, September 20, 2012

Viking Raid


I diced up the chicken breast and chopped a spicy white onion. I blended the Hatch chili with Verde sauce. I lightly fried the tortilla to make it more pliant and after rolling chicken, onion and cheese up in it I poured the Verde sauce over it sprinkled on more cheese and baked. 

 A pot of black beans and dinner was served. Delicious aromas flooded the house.

 After the feast was consumed Shaggy decided that it was time for Halloween M&Ms; they are most flavorful.

 My M&M preference list is Halloween, Easter, Christmas, then the everyday variety. Back in the day of only regular bags, before the despised blue ones, back when there was still a pretty tan one; I would buy three large bags on the first day of October. I would open them pour them onto a plate and sort out all of the red and green ones. Put them in a zipper baggie and into the cabinet. That left only the yellow, orange, tan and brown. I would pour them into a candy bowl. They were beautiful, like fallen leaves. At Christmas I would put out the saved red and green ones. I would buy 3 more bags and separate out all the red ones into a zipper bag and sort all the green ones into a zipper bag I baked Christmas cookies with the remaining colors and on Valentines I put all the red into a bowl and for St. Patrick’s Day I put out the remaining green ones. Shaggy sat at the table reminiscing about the St. Patrick M&Ms wondering why they did not make those anymore. I laughed and told her that I made those bowls of Holiday M&Ms; you could not buy them in Holiday colors back then. She was amazed. The look on her face was priceless, the sparkle in her eyes as she smiled realizing the magic I had woven into her childhood. She got that warm happy glow, the one you get when the object of your desire proclaims love for you. All that candy sorting for all those years was suddenly worth every moment. I had no idea what it meant to my children. I did it because it was visually pleasing to me. Because it created Holiday magic and was a very inexpensive decorating tool.

So we don our shoes grab our purses and out the door we go, driving to CVS because it is close. We scour the Halloween section and no Halloween M&Ms. we leave, but not quietly, expressing our displeasure of finding none as we leave and drive to our local market. We walk to the very back where they cleverly place all the seasonal items. Not once are distracted by displays of …. Well I am not sure what they were attempting to entice us with we were on a mission that had become more serious for the lack of finding the desired bag of delight. To our further dismay they had none on either side of an aisle that was filled with one kind of candy bar or another, Eyeballs, fingers, pretzels, chocolate miniature favorites but not our M&Ms, 20 feet of assorted treats and decorations and hats and masks.  We have become more determined and if we have to drive all over Texas to find them we have resolved to do so.  Our next stop is Target. We are Vikings and we are pillaging village after village in our quest for chocolate Valhalla. At last we find them. Grabbing a bag we dash to the register and when Karen asks if we found everything we both shout YES!!! And they are delicious! I love it when we have a successful mission.

But wait there was more. On our way into the store Shaggy spies a large dark oddly shaped thing on the wall outside. ‘MOM!! Look at the size of that bug.” I am dreading looking over at it especially after the giant fairy body we found on our front bumper and the Texas sized water bug that was waging an attack in my kitchen. But I am happily surprised. It is a moth. A very large moth with a wing span longer than my hand. The colors are like tree bark. She was beautiful. But why was she on a wall when 20 feet away was a tree where she would have been disguised and safer. We stopped and enjoyed her beauty and size for several minutes resisting the urge to touch her velvet looking wings. Hope she was safe all night.
Lady Tamara has received several suggestions for a new name so as not to be confused with the other Tamara.  Lady Lochaber, Princess T, Mara, TP, T, I have not decided.
Have you decided to make your dad a Scottish Laird for Christmas? You can at http://www.highlandtitles.com

No comments:

Post a Comment