Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cherry-O


 I stood in a short line yesterday waiting to check out. In front of me as I approached I could hear a little girl “you will buy this for me!” “I want this and you are buying it!” I thought it was a joke or a child and her mom being silly like my daughters and I would be but, there was no playing going on. This little voice was loud, very loud and demanding and rude. I was shocked. The woman in front of her was twitching. I am not sure if she wanted to flee the line, smack the mom for putting up with that rude child or do a beat down on the child. Her mother just kept examining a belt she held in her hand. I would have tried it out on her obnoxious arse if I was her mom. Her mother told her no she could not have a broken toy.

 The child screamed she wanted it the lip gloss was not broken. Her mother explained no she would not buy her a cheap toy lip gloss that may cause a rash. The child screamed that her friends did not get rashes and they had lip gloss. Still a “no” came from mom. The child put it back and picked up something else and screamed she wanted it. Her mother asked what it was and here is where I about lost it. “I don’t know but you are buying it for me because I want it!” The little brat had no idea what was in the plastic pink thing. “You never buy me anything!” came the scream. 

Her mother ignored her and kept studying the belt.  The child looked up at me and I glared down at her and took a step toward her. She ducked behind her mom so she could not see me and screamed “You will buy this!” Her mother calmly said no. Then she screamed “if you do not buy me this I will hit you!” I looked at the people around me and nervous lady almost fled the scene the teenage girl behind me looked angry. I waited for the mom to grab a handful of child and tell her to shut up. The brat again said, buy it or I will hit you. She made a fist and hit her mom.  I looked at angry teenager and she whispered ‘Oh Hell NO!!”

It was a little hard to evaluate this scene. I am not sure it was what it appeared to be. Single mom? Abused wife? Dad kowtows to children while he has them and therefore they can bully mom too when they go home?  It was painful to watch.  I felt for the mom, I felt for the angry child.


I have been craving bourbon. I have been craving cherry. Maybe what I want is a Manhattan or just a cherry coke. I bought a bottle of wine that tasting notes assured me was ripe and rich with cherry. It was a very nice wine but I still want good bourbon and I still want a cherry.  Weird!

King Henry VIII introduced cherries to England. He had tasted them in Flanders.  Cherries were brought to Rome from Turkey. Cherry gets its name from Giresun in Turkey which the Romans called Cerasus and the Latin Cerasum which in Spanish is cereza and into French cerise.


Turkey produces the most cherries followed by the US and then Iran. They can be yellow in color to a deep blackish red. They contain melatonin a hormone that lowers body temperature making you sleepy. They are a good source of fiber and vitamin C. They also reduce the pain of arthritis caused by uric acid building up in the body by eliminating the acid.  They contain antioxidants which help with cardiovascular issues like plaque around the heart.
Cherry-O
Have a Cheeryful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment