Monday, January 28, 2013

Sign of Bain


I was wandering through a store last evening just to get some activity and to seek out treasure. I noticed very odd phenomena, pictures, plaques, and knick knacks that I can only assume were for the bathroom because they say bathroom on them or the very popular phrase salle de bain or even just bain.

 I do not know about you, but I usually assume that if it has a toilet, shower, sink, bathtub or bidet in it, it is more than likely falling into the category of bathroom, powder-room, or salle de bain. Do we really need a painted washboard, faded pink sign or bathtub with birds on it telling us what it is? 

Are there people out there in the English or French speaking world that are clueless about what it might be? I have never walked into one and wondered…hmmmm what could this darling room with a toilet and bathtub possibly be called; nor have I ever had anyone ask me the same question. Do you the owner of the bathroom possibly not know what it is called?

This led me to also notice all of the cutesy little plaques and signs telling me that I was also looking at or in a laundry room. Really.... so that is why there is a washing machine in here. I am not saying that wall art depicting vintage washtubs hung with faded shabby blue ribbon and dried flowers is not ok to hang in a laundry room; but does it really need to say laundry or washtub? Do we not know where we are? I feel the same way about the rugs that say “Laundry”. My feet cannot read and again I am standing in front of the dryer.

Lady Tamara must now get busy with writing a weekly blog for the Artz Council. We are going with Red this week. It will be up on the facebook page later this morning.
Jane Lee 
The Little Red Painting 

Oh, yes, I will be collecting items for the Silent Auction at the RMCC Business and Restaurant Showcase today through tomorrow morning. If you have an item or service you wish to donate please let me know. They are expecting about 3 thousand people. If you do attend please come by and see me at Today’s Weddings. Moola will be there also. 

In case you did not know, today is National Kazoo Day. In 1840 in Macon Georgia a man named Alabama Vest thought up the idea of the musical device and commissioned a German clock master, Thaddeus Von Clegg to create it. In 1912 commercial production was started by Emil Sorg in Western New York after teaming up with Michael McIntyre a tool and die maker in Buffalo. 

They moved the factory to Eden New York and that has been the home of the plant ever since.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment