Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mud Sheeple


Yesterday I ventured out to a movie. I saw Mud.

 I had never heard of this movie but I like Matthew McConaughey so I decided to give it a go. 

Good movie. However, (I bet you knew there was a problem)  I get there about 5 minutes before the movie is scheduled to start and there is no First Look playing or any advertising.  I have been to enough movies to realize that this is a problem. There are 14 people sitting in their seats grazing on their food either oblivious or uncaring or over trusting. 

There is not even sound playing. It is weird. I look around and wonder who will be the first to get up and handle the situation should the need arise. There are 7 men and 7 women including me. Not one person is being vocal about the lack of sound or adverts or movie. They are like sheep grazing along the edge of the cliff. A guy in the row ahead of me pulls out his phone to text and I ask the time. The movie is now 10 minutes past start time.  He continues to text as if there is not a problem. (I had actually thought he would be the one to get up) I wait and watch no one gets up. 

So I say “Well, I suppose I will be the ONE” and I drift down the steps across the theater and out the door. People are starring, I am sure I shocked them with my outburst, not that I said it very load or forceful but it was more a look of “she just called the prosecutor a lecherous slut.” You know that look the crowd gives Katniss in Hunger Games when she takes her sisters place, that was the look. I find some theater people and ask if they are planning on starting the movie in auditorium 12. They look at each other and then at me. I take 4 determined steps toward them and they walk over to another employee. She will get it started now they say. I walk away and back into the auditorium. It is now 20 minutes beyond movie start time. I ask the guy the time and then say out loud “how long should I give them before I demand we all get free passes?” 5 minutes he says and another couple and a man laugh and say “yes 5 minutes”.  The sound comes on, no picture. I stand up, as I turn to get my purse the picture comes on and the movie starts.  If I had not taken action I wonder how long the sheep would have continued grazing.  Is this the norm for our world? People are content to accept the mediocre, the unacceptable, the action or lack of action in matters that concern them? They have paid a huge corporation about $15 each to entertain them and yet do nothing when the corporation fails to do what they were paid to do. Sheeple!


Right after I got home from the movie and was sipping on a glass of wine, I turned my phone back on and up popped a text from the president of HFP. Come help stuff bags. Good grief it was Tuesday night and I had planned to help. We stuffed about 700 bags with swag for the runners of our Doggie Dash. My car is now loaded down with broken down boxes. Anyone need boxes for a move?

I have business to conduct see you all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment